The Big Urban Mixtape
Bringing unsigned artist to the forefront for the furture of Hip-Hop

Mr. Sykes Interviews Staten- The Rapper That Made It Happen

Ike Staten is definitely the rapper that made it happen. When he took the other 4 boroughs by storm when he won NG Records & Rap Fanatics magazine's "Set Tha Stage On Fire" last month. This energetic 21 year old has an army well produced beats, and refreshing lyrics about women, day to day life, and the borough he represents....


Mr. Sykes: How long have you been rapping?

Staten: I've been doing this about 2 years now, seriously about a year. I'm putting together a solo project right now. I'm pretty new to this but I am the best for my city.

Mr. Sykes: I read in different places that you got inspired (to do music) by seeing your brother produce and do other things, so do you work together?

Staten: I really only work with family, my two brothers, my sister "SP Da Kid" But He's been producing ever since I can remember. He's a rapper, singer, producer, he does it all. I pretty much get all of my musical influence from him.

Mr. Sykes: So what do you prefer being in the studio or performing?

Staten: Definitely performing, I think I do music just to perform. I don't think there's no better feeling then rocking a crowd.

Mr. Sykes: What does it feel like winning "Set Tha Stage On Fire" what was that experience like for you?

Staten: Really that was crazy... That was definitely the highlight of my "career" so far. That was the first time I really took it outside of my borough and people really responded to it. And to win was like... It wasn't a shock I felt I should have. But I respect them for keeping it official and g
etting the love everybody was showing me love that night.

Mr. Sykes: Who are you listening to right now?

Staten: Right now definitely, Wayne. I mean J doesn't leave the CD changer. But I'm a big R&B head too so, Trey Songz.... I basically listen to everything.

Mr. Sykes: If you could work with one major artist who would it be?

Staten: It would basically have to be J (Jay-Z)....

Mr. Sykes: One thing you would do if you were president?

Staten: First I would get out of the war. I think after that happened the money would get a little better. Gas will go down, you got me taking the train everywhere I don't ever wanna drive no more.

Mr. Sykes: Music matters to you because?

Staten: Because it's life, music keeps me going. I don't do anything without music, I wake up with music, go to sleep to music, walk through the city with music, love the women to music. Music is everything.



For more Staten visit his website @ http://myspace.com/cliftonboyz

To Make a Myspace Bulletin or a Facebook Post For This Post CLICK HERE
 
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?

Google