The Big Urban Mixtape
Bringing unsigned artist to the forefront for the furture of Hip-Hop

Yung Squad [ Not Your Average Dudes!]


So I made my way up to the BX (The Bronx for non New Yorkers) to talk to rap group Yung Squad. The group is made up of two gentlemen that go by the names Hollywood Hood, and Body Baggs. I first heard these catz at a performance at 50 Mics Tournament a few weeks back, and as I said then, it was the most hype, energetic, live rap performance I've ever witnessed. This dudes have some serious swagger, with something which consider to be a new sound. And as a group the posses a realness which makes the music they create all the more appealing. These Catz are not your average rappers.

Mr. Sykes: How long have you guys been a group?

Body Baggs: It's been like 3 or 4 years now. I met my man Hollywood about three years ago, doing a little battle in the streets.... Actually they wanted me to battle him, but you know they made a big deal about it. I realized I had a little tale
nt in the game, so we hooked up from there.

Mr. Sykes: Your sound is real different from mainstream Hip-Hop, like at 50 Mics Jay-Z could have been on stage and it wouldn't have been that hype. So where does that sound come from?

Hollywood: ... That's us we're bringing a whole new movement from the last mixtape. You're gonna hear th
e difference from this mixtape. We got a whole new style, a whole new swagger we're bringing a whole new movement at the end of the day. Cuz it's Yung Squad! I bring the new style, the lyrics, the hype to it. He brings the swagger that's a whole 'nother kind of energy so when that comes together... It's YS

Body Baggs: To feed on to that, we're a little different than the average rappers, than the average dudes....

Mr. Sykes: With that said, if you guys got signed to a major lable what artists/ producers would you like to work with?

Body Baggs: I like Kanye...

Hollywood: I need a Dre beat off jump... I gotta get on a legendary, late, great Dr. Dre beat. It's everybody.... Pharrell, gotta be on that list, Swizz Beats.



Mr. Sykes: So who makes your beats now?

Hollywood: We have different producers, like whoever wants to work with us. We don't have an "Official" YS producer. But it's like we turn nothing into something all the time...(Thanks) 3rd Street Beats

Body Baggs: Shout out to Chris he did a lot of work with us too.

Hollywood: And we're working with Buddha " The Future" you already know Buddha.... (He did) That joint we performed at 50 Mics "Yung Squad Anthem"

Mr. Sykes: What's the message behind you music? What are you trying to bring to game?

Hollywood: Hip-Hop back, no gimmicks all the gimmicks are out the window. Everybody's using it all up. All the T-Pains'. Can be like T-Pain, can't do nobody's dancing not more. We gotta bring back lyrics back, and make real music we're trying to bring y'all that....

Yung Squad
[Paraphrased] : We're not hating on anybody out there making paper...but it's time to change

Mr. Sykes: Oatmeal or Grits?

Body Baggs: Grits

Mr. Sykes: Favorite Video Games?

Hollywood: 2k8, 2k Sports

Body Baggs: Y'all wanna know, I really suck at all the games [Laughs] I don't know I'ma say Madden... Yeah I'll be with Madden on this one

Mr. Sykes: What is Hip-Hop?

Hollywood: Hip-Hop is a culture, it's a whole movement, it's society. Everything in Hip-Hop
reflects what you do daily, you get up you get dressed in the morning. Whatever you got it's a Hip-Hop swagger that how I feel music motivates you to do different things. That's why we make music, not for "old" heads but for the middle crowd for everybody that's getting into Hip-Hop. They're gonna feel us, those who always been into Hip-Hop they definitely gon' feel us.

Body Baggs: I definitely agree with that.... But it's true Hip-Hop is a culture from the way we dress to the slang we use, it's how we present ourselves in general that's Hip-Hop


Mr. Sykes: Music matters to you because?

Hollywood: Cuz That's the way we gon' get rich and take over this game. That's how I'ma feed my mother, put a better roof over her head.... Take care of all my niggas

Body Baggs: There's a lot that comes with it. I'm not doing it just to do it [Music] Like I said I started out with the poet thing I realized I had talent, I don't wanna be a waste. Music is everything it's like in general.


Get More From Your Boyz Yung Squad @ http://www.myspace.com/yungsquad2


 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?

Google