The Big Urban Mixtape
Bringing unsigned artist to the forefront for the furture of Hip-Hop

Mr. Sykes Interviews Barbershop Quartet [ Hip-Hop Is True Expression]


I finally got the chance to do an interview with Hip-Hop group The Barbershop Quartet. A rap group that I'm actually a member of, scheduling was a little tight since we're working on our album, but it was good just to sit down and talk. This group has a strong history starting from way before I even joined. With influences from Spanish boleros to the heavy hitters of underground hip-hop. The Group consist of S. Kai, Geo ( The God Of Diction), Remmus, and yours truly Mr. Sykes all haling from Brooklyn New York. Our motivation is to be the saviors of hip-hop. Our music is real, and we talk about real issues...Album coming soon so watch out for us.





Mr. Sykes: So how long as the group been going on?

Geo: The group as been going since....

Kai: Gotta be three years now.


Mr. Sykes: How did it start?

Kai: We had this group called GS9, we had my man Wize, Geo, Remmus, MAC 40, L Ripper, Hurtz, Element... Anyway I guess you could say we were a hip-hop super group. And just started ripping tracks it was one of those high school things where we started making tracks. And the group already existed before we hopped in. But eventually whole shit split up so we started this new shit. Me , Geo, Remmus, and also you. (Mr. Sykes: every now and then) But still we this new shit going on and we making a lot of movement, working hard.


Mr. Sykes: [Paraphrasing] It's funny how you should mention not being in GS9 from the start, because when I had joined this group after you guys had been together for a while. And I remember being over at your crib one day just joking around saying like: this is like the Fugees and I'm like lauryn hill, I'm here but I'm really not. Then you said 'well I'll be damned if I call Remmus Mr. Roncal, or Geo Mr. Remirez.' And that's how I kinda got my name when I was just like well you can call me Mr. Sykes.

Mr. Sykes: Your Music Is different than everyone else's... There arent really a lot of rap groups out there now. So how are you going to bring back the rap group, in essence?

Geo: Just be real with it, just be real. There's no other way you can do it, as your real with yourself even when you're up there spitting a verse you're not just spitting a verse. You're expressing yourself, people can tell your being truthful. But if you're there just spitting Verses trying to make some money, just writing verses to write the verses, and cash in on it. Then you can tell you're being a fake it doesn't sound as good.

Mr. Sykes: Your music is different also in that fact that you guys flip a lot of Spanish samples, and like old school music, so where does that sound come from?


Geo: Well I grew up listening to a lot of Spanish music and stuff. In the house my mother would always play these old school boleros with sick organs and shit, and crazy singing. I just got the idea to start sampling Spanish stuff originally from my bother, he was the one who started looking thru Spanish stuff. And I'm just the one who caught on to it and I got more deep into it. And eventually I came across this group "The Enemy Of Mankind" and I was already switching all these Spanish samples. When somebody introduced me to this group and that inspired me even more. Cuz he wasn't just sampling English stuff, he was sampling Italian stuff, Spanish stuff and it still rocked as English hip-hop. He didn't even have to spit a Spanish verse and it still rocked.

Mr. Sykes: So with that said, best rap album of the past ten years?

Geo: There is no best... Kai: If you had to chose like one honorable mention?

Mr. Sykes: On a good day what joint could you rock all day and not be bothered by it?

Geo: well on a good day, recently "So. illaquists Of Sound" that one and "Ur Turn" That shit is ill

Kai: I'd Have to say "Blackstar" and it doesn't matter if it's a good day or a bad day...That Mos' and Kweli right there, you gotta feel that.

Mr. Sykes: Mine most people already know, is the "Unplugged" album from Lauryn Hill...I can rock that and it's been 8 years now I still feel it.

...

Mr. Sykes: whats the message behind the music?

Kai: The Message behind the music is life itself. Cuz everything we kick is life itself. It always has a relevance to something. We don't pick up a pen " and oh I'ma start some beef with this cat." Cuz i'm trying to make records sale. Naw it's like, this is going on, we're gonna write about it. We come with a concept we come a beat, we got an idea and we flip it. It's life itself.

Mr. Sykes: Vodka or Cognac?

Kai: I'm not really a drinker...

Mr. Sykes: sure make me look like the alcoholic of the group... I'll go with the 'gnac.

Mr. Sykes: Favorite Video game?

Geo: Metal Gear Solid 1

....

Mr. Sykes: What is hip-hop?

Geo: Hip-Hop is being yourself Kai: Hip-Hop is true expression

Mr. Sykes: What are we going to change the game?

Kai: We trying to bring good music to the peoples ears it's just as simple as that. Like what I just said about the TV and how I don't turn it on. It's the same thing with the radio. I really don't turn it on cuz there's not to much good hip-hop on there. You turn it on and everything is sounding the same. We want it to come to a point where you turn on the radio and you hear good shit playing. and it doesn't have to be us . But if one person or one group can get in there and rock that shit and make people understand it more than just this, chain, bling bling. That's bullshit, that's just jokes and stuff, it's gimmicks. Geo: It's not about trying to act gangster and trying to look cool. It's about making music.

Mr. Sykes: It is all about the music and we're knocking anybody per se. all that shit is valid but thats not all hip-hop is, it's better to have a balance.

Kai: All that shit has it's purpose like you said ain't gon' be no Crank barbershop quartet.


For more from the Barbershop Quartet Check Out: http://www.myspace.com/kaigs9
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?

Google