The Big Urban Mixtape
Bringing unsigned artist to the forefront for the furture of Hip-Hop

Mr. Sykes Interview Melissa Duncan [ I Wanna Be A household Name]

Category: , , , By Mr Sykes

So we went down to Fort Green park to meet up with R&B singer Melissa Duncan. This woman was wonderful to interview. She had some interesting things to say and she was really down to earth. She's bound to be a household name!

Mr. Sykes: Hip-Hop is vastly changing so how are you contributing to that change?

Melissa: I think we definitely contributing, when I say we, I mean my songwriting partner and myself (J.B.). As far as music goes we're just exploring a lot of things. Opening up a lot of avenues, we put in a lot of Jazz we wanna do some country with it. And not just because everything is popular, but because music is about everything! So we just wanna grow with it.

Mr. Sykes: What made you decide to come to Brooklyn? Cuz I know you're from Florida so made you want to come up here?

Melissa: Truthfully, J.B. and I just thought it was time for a change. So we where in Miami, and after High School we just thought it was time for a change. So it was either or New York or some place else. So we were like it's New York!

Mr. Sykes: Brooklyn loves you so you need to be here.
Mr. Sykes: So what have you accomplished since you've been here?

Melissa: Well I've been doing a lot of shows, worked with a lot of great people. And we record over at Brown Sugar Recording studio, so we worked with V.I. He's a great artist from Cleveland but he's out here too. But truthfully the biggest thing that New York has given us as songwriters is just an avenue to express ourselves. Where at home it would be a little harder to do.

Mr. Sykes: So in three year Melissa Duncan will be?

Melissa: In three years? Melissa Duncan will be, you know what we really believe is a household name. It's like you got Black & Decker, you got Kitchen-Aid, you got Melissa Duncan. We're just really trying to be in you homes, we wanna be in your hearts. And we look to really touch everything.

Mr. Sykes: Hip-Hop Living is what?

Melissa: It's living the free life. It's coming home really early in the morning, it's traveling a lot. I love R&B, I love Hip-Hop I love everything it's about because there is just so much energy. And sometimes living Hip-Hop is living over the edge and we don't wanna do that! Hip-Hop is just about living in the moment, is really what it is.

Mr. Sykes: Favorite summertime spot?

Melissa: My favorite summertime spot, would definitely be home in Miami! It's super hot! but it's the beach every single day. That's my favorite summertime spot.

Mr. Sykes: What do you like more performing or in the studio?

Melissa: I wanna be honest, cuz I want people to know the truth about me. I love being in the studio it's my own space where I can be creative and become whatever I need to be for that song.

Mr. Sykes: Music matters to you because?

Melissa: Music Matters to me because, it's very important. I know that sounds really vague. But that's just how it is. Not necessarily my voice or my music it's just it matters to me cuz it's important

For more from Melissa Duncan Check out: http://www.myspace.com/duncanmelissa

Link This to your myspace or post a bulletin CLICK HERE
 

1 comment so far.

  1. Marq Phadef May 6, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    My name is Marq Phadef... I'm a producer From the BX... I think the interview was very insightful... I feel like I know a little more about Melissa Duncan as a person... ;).. nah but god bless and much success to you.... Melissa and Big Urban Mixtape...

    PS there is this thing for mics called a windshield... just thought I'd through that out there....

Something to say?

Google