The Big Urban Mixtape
Bringing unsigned artist to the forefront for the furture of Hip-Hop

Mr. Sykes Talks w/ Future




So I sat down with Brooklyn rapper, and West Palm Florida native Future, to actually discuss the "future" of hip-hop. This bright and talent young man had many things to say. In trying to bring life back to hip-hop and positivity back in the music.

"What I am trying to do is bring Hip-Hop back to the light now everybody's saying hip-hop is dead..."
  
Mr. Sykes: How long have you been living in New York?

Future: I've been in New York for 4 years, I came up from West Palm Beach Florida. I was 13 or 14 I came up here to live with my father, you know to follow my dream of being in the music industry. I got my first equipment at the age of 14 that was my inbox Protools, and that started me off getting me into a course I wanted to do.

Mr. Sykes: So what made you decide to come up here?

Future: I was having problems with my mother at the time and was going through a lot. So I decided it would be better for me to... separate myself from that environment with her. And come live with my father where I could get a man's guidance and learn how to be a man. 
Mr. Sykes: Who are you biggest musical influences? 

Future: Probably 50... 'cause of his determination I know everybody's gonna be like why is he choosing 50. It's really not about image to me its really about his heart and his determination... What he's been through and the fact that he put it into his music raw. I like that fact he's raw and I really feel what he's saying as an artist.

" We're not gonna hold it against you [laugh]"

Mr. Sykes: ...You have a clothing store, you do merchandising?

Future: Yeah, we have FMM clothing store, it's been shut down for a while now. 

Mr. Sykes: Do you actually design clothing?

Future: Nah we doing design clothing we have people that actually do that for us....

Mr. Sykes: How does it work having a parent as a manager having had?

Future: It's tough, its real rough you gotta separate business with pleasure. So you can't really catch too much emotions when dealing with your father as your manager. It's hard, but we stopped that whole situation because it wasn't working and I found the proper manager. 

Mr. Sykes: Do you think it can work?

Future: It can work if you're disciplined enough and if you, 'I'm saying from a parents perspective' if you have control over your child in that type of way of course its gonna work. But if you don't then its gonna get crazy. 

Mr. Sykes: "Humility is an attribute I can't rebuke. I want the finer things and its not necessarily." What inspired you to write that song?

Future: Finer things in life is basically a description of me, the person that I am. Everybody is out there for different reasons and doing what they do for different reasons. I do me just because I want to live this dream of being in the music industry, and I just want to tell people my story... the finer things in life is not diamonds, nice cars or fancy clothing, the finer things are living out your dreams and as far as the finer things in life I am trying to say: Your family, different aspects of your life could be the finer things in life; not necessarily something materialistic. 

" I ask this because people don't write songs of this nature and genre anymore, so it's refreshing to see a younger artist say those things."

Future: What I am trying to do is bring hip-hip back to the light. Right now everybody's saying hip-hop is dead. It is dead! But you know someone in the future would back and revive that situation, get back to normal....

Mr. Sykes: Who was the last person that text message you?

Future: My girl...

Mr. Sykes: What's your most prized possession? 

Future: My Girlfriend [Smiles]

Mr. Sykes: What are you doing to change the game?

Future: I'm bringing the realness back to hip-hop, there's nothing fake about me. I'm trying to be more positive in my music, lead the next generation into something that's gonna be more positive and successful, more enlightening. You fill enlightened by my music, your learning something. How to be a better person and how to live out your dreams. Focus, knowing that you need determination; so basically I'm gonna be the future. "Focus on the future, forget about the past." Thats my whole motto, to my career, to my theme, everything, my music, "Focus on the future, forget about the past."

Get more from Future @: http://myspace.com/youngfuture


 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?

Google